Scientific researcher. ORCID 0000-0001-5859-5674
Estación Experimental de Zonas Áridas, CSIC
Campus UAL. Carretera de Sacramento s/n
04120 La Cañada de San Urbano (Almería/Spain)
Phone: +34 950281045
LINES OF RESEARCH AND METHODS
Desertification, Global Change, Sustainable Development, Integrated Water Management, Pastoral Systems, Groundwater, Food Production, System Dynamics, Vulnerability, Risk Analysis, Scientific Dissemination.
Jaime Martínez Valderrama is an expert in the socio-economic study of desertification. The general objective of his research has been to deepen the understanding of the relationships between land use and its impacts in drylands. To this end, he uses integrated models to analyze their stability in different scenarios. Through this analysis, he has developed early warning indicators of desertification risk and quantified the influence of the various factors involved in this degradation process. The main socio-ecosystems studied are pastoral systems and irrigated agriculture linked to groundwater resources. One of the main methodologies used in this work has been System Dynamics (SD), a simulation tool flexible enough to incorporate various types of analysis. In addition, SD allows the construction of practical user interfaces, which has enabled it to transfer the results of its research to various public and private institutions, including the Desertification Early Warning System designed for the Ministry of the Environment.
This activity has been developed in the CSIC (IEG-CCHS and EEZA; 1998-2018 and 2022-2023) and the University of Alicante (2019-2022), throughout 23 research projects. He is also PI of the ATLAS project, whose mission is to make an Atlas of desertification in Spain, and of a project granted by the Chinese Government to study desertification processes in this country. He has extensive experience in various arid regions (Southern Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America) and has spent time in Chile and Mexico. He has a great vocation for dissemination, with a presence in the media and dozens of articles on desertification, and two books dedicated to it (Deserts and desertification (2015); Desertificación, cuando el territorio hace aguas (2023)). In addition, he has participated in several training courses as a professor, including several editions of the CSIC Master’s degree on Global Change, and is directing a doctoral thesis at the UCAM that follows the original line of research on the search for early warning indicators.
Due to his experience in desertification, he has been an advisor to MITECO in the design of the National Strategy to Combat Desertification and has been consulted on several occasions by committees of members of the German Parliament on the connections between desertification and food production. He is currently a member of the executive committee of the Connections – ARID ZONES initiative of the CSIC, which aims to coordinate the various institutions and institutions involved in the study of drylands.
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Gil-Sánchez, J.M.; Herrera Sánchez, J. 2023. La vida sigilosa del desierto. Metode Science Studies Journal 113.
- Guirado, E.; Delgado-Baquerizo, M.; Benito; B.M.; Molina-Pardo, J.L.; Berdugo, M.; Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Maestre, F.T. 2023. The global biogeography and environmental drivers of fairy circles. PNAS.
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Olcina, J.; Delacámara, G.; Guirado, E.; Maestre, F.T. 2023. A complex policy mix to cope with human-made agricultural water gaps. Water Resources Management. 37: 2805–2834 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-023-03481-5
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Ibáñez, J. 2023. Implementing climate change projections in System Dynamics models. MethodsX. 10: 102044. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mex.2023.102044
- Herrera-Sánchez, F.J.; López, O.; Rodríguez-Siles, J.; Díaz-Portero, M.A.; Arredondo, A.; Sáez, J.M.; Álvarez, B.; Cancio, I.; De Lucas, J.; Joaquín Pérez, Gerardo Valenzuela, Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Sánchez-Cerdá, M.; Qninba, A.; Virgós, E.; Calleja, J.A.; Bartolomé Filella, J.; Albanell, E.; Serrano, E.; Abáigar, T.; Gil Sánchez, J.M. 2023. Feeding Ecology of the Cuvier’s Gazelle (Gazella cuvieri) in the Sahara Desert. Animals. 13(4): 567. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani13040567
- Gil-Sánchez, J. M., Herrera-Sánchez, F. J., Rodríguez-Siles, J., Díaz-Portero, M. Á., Arredondo, Á., Sáez, J. M., Álvarez, B., Canci, I., Lucas, J. de, McCain, E., Pérez, J., Valenzuela, G., Martínez-Valderrama, J., Sánchez-Cerdá, M., Lahlafi, T., Martín, J. M., Burgo, T., Jiménez, J., Qninba, A., & Virgós, E. 2023. Applications of non-intrusive methods to study the sand cat: a field study in the Sahara Desert. European Journal of Wildlife Research, 69: 20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10344-023-01645-7
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Ibáñez, J. 2023. System Dynamics tools to study Mediterranean rangeland’s sustainability. Land. 12(1): 206. https://doi.org/10.3390/land12010206
- Maestre, F.T. et al. 2022. Livestock grazing and ecosystem service delivery in global drylands. Science. 378(6622): 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abq4062
Other peer-reviewed papers
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Gui, D.; Ahmed, Z. 2023. Oasification and desertification under the framework of Land Degradation Neutrality. Environmental Science Proceedings, 25(1), 94 https://doi.org/10.3390/ECWS-7-14238
- Guirado, E.; Martínez-Valderrama, J. 2021. Potencial de la inteligencia artificial para avanzar en el estudio de la desertificación. Ecosistemas, 30(3): 2250. https://doi.org/10.7818/ECOS.2250
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Guirado, E.; Maestre, F.T. 2021. Editorial. Desertificación: nuevos enfoques para un viejo problema. Ecosistemas, 30(3): 2312. https://doi.org/10.7818/ECOS.2312
- Martínez-Valderrama, J.; Guirado, E.; Maestre, F.T. 2021. ¿Se puede cartografiar la desertificación? Luces y sombras de una tarea desafiante. Ecosistemas, 30(3): 2211. https://doi.org/10.7818/ECOS.2211